Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Phase I
  1. Assessing Prior Knowledge: If you were teaching this with the targeted grade level students
    • how would prior experience have been assessed?
    • What would you expect to learn from assessing your students' prior knowledge?
    • How would this information be useful in the planning process?
  2. Plans Instruction: Discuss how your goals, objectives, and outcomes are
    • clearly stated
    • appropriate for students
    • aligned to state standards
  3. Planning Assessment: How will your assessment tools demonstrate
    • the performance of linked goals and/or objectives
    • student engagement in higher order thinking
    • meeting individual student needs


    1. Assessing Prior Knowledge:
    With the lesson about Franklin D Roosevelt, prior knowledge would be very important with the technology that will be given to them to use. I would assess the prior knowledge a day before the lesson is given to them so that they get the feel of how to use Glogster.com and my website that I created. They would be expected to know how to sign in, and how to use the websites given to them.

    I would expect to learn from assessing my student's prior knowledge what they are able to do and what their weaknesses are using the websites. If it was too much of a difficulty for my students to learn the tools given to them, I would recreate my lesson plan to where it would be simple for my students. I feel though with this lesson plan the websites are very easy to use, with any grade level.

    The information with the prior knowledge of my students would be very useful because it would help me create a very well thought out lesson plan. With my students learning how to use new technology, it would be very useful for me as the teacher to know how my students are doing with it because it can only show me how well my students will do the overall lesson. 

    2. Plans Instruction:
    My goals, objectives, and outcomes are clearly stated in my lesson plan. My goal is for my students to learn the states standards on FDR and what they are expected to know. My objectives are stated in my lesson plan with how we are going to learn all about FDR. The outcome was very nice with the how well the class did their posters and how much information was given to them in the website and how well they answered the questions in their poster.
    Example of my Standards:
    Display:

    Arrow Open GA- Gwinnett County Public Schools Academic Knowledge and Skills (AKS)
    Arrow Open Grade Level: Third Grade
    Arrow Open Subject Area: Social Studies
    Arrow Open Topic: I - Life and Times of Historical Figures - Franklin Roosevelt
    Expectation: discuss the life of Franklin Roosevelt and his efforts to expand people's rights and freedoms in a democracy (GPS) (3SS_I2008-42)
    Expectation: describe how Franklin Roosevelt displayed positive character traits (GPS) (3SS_I2008-44)
    My lesson is very appropriate for my third graders because it follows the state standards very well. The website was created to them, by me, to help them answered the guided questions that they will be later assessed on. I also know that Glogster.com is a very helpful tool because it helps them with their creativity and with that being said, it will help them learn as well.

    3. Designing Instruction
    My lesson is organized just like this in my lesson plan:

    1. I will ask the class what they know already about Franklin D. Roosevelt (2 min)
    2. I will explain to class what lesson that they are about to do. I will state that they will be given certain websites that they have to find with one partner, which the websites will be on FDR information. (3 min)
    3. Once they find these websites they will have to find valuable information that the class might find useful. Basically they are trying to answer the two questions given to them. (10 min)
    4. Once they have their notes on FDR, the class will come together as a whole and discuss their findings. This will help students that might be having a hard time with the project to catch up. (if needed)
    5. Then after the students have their information about the president they will use Glogster to create a campaign ad or advertisement for FDR and try to persuade their class to vote for FDR, as if he were alive today and running. (10 min)
    6. The students must keep in mind that this project is for the students to learn the HISTORY of what was going on when FDR was president. They are not trying to persuade their class that FDR will fix the problems in the world now, but in the past. (5 min)
    7. Rubrics will be discussed in the beginning to what is expected of them.

    Also my lesson plan clearly states how students with individual needs will be able to get help with, not only from me, but from their classmates:

    Differentiated Instruction Students who have special needs, I feel would exceed in this lesson. It is a very hands on experience for the class as a whole. Students will be paired with a partner to work on project together and collaborate on ideas. This will help students with special needs because they will be paired with someone who can help them in a particular area and maybe able to help their partner as well. If students are still having a hard time them we will collaborate as a class on main ideas for the campaign ad and then once they have those they can work on the creative part with their partners.

    Pairing up children can be beneficial for students, with individual needs, but can help students also who don't need special help either. They can learn a lot just having to work together. 

    4. Planning Assessment
    My lesson connects, both the state standards of what they need to know about FDR, but how to use a certain technology.   With my lesson, not only will they learn about FDR, but they will learn basic tools on how to use websites. With using both technology and states standards it will help them learn in higher order because it helps create a better understanding of what they are learning.




1 comment:

  1. This is a good description of the process you went through in the creation of this first lesson. You have detailed each of the steps and given a good rationale for why you are building the lesson in the way you are.

    ReplyDelete