Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Phase II

Phase II 
For my implementation I created a Website that was all about Franklin D. Roosevelt  for the students to use.  This website was created based on two questions that the students needed to know. These two questions; discuss the life of FDR and his efforts to expand people’s rights and freedom in a democracy and two, describe how FDR displayed positive character traits.  Once my students answered the questions with the informative website they went to Glogster.com and created a poster with the information that they learned from the two questions given to them. I learned from the implementation process that if I ever were to teach this lesson to my students, that we should have class time set aside to learning on how to use Glogster and how to use the website that I created, just so the lesson goes more smoothly.
 
The goals and objectives were maintained was not with me lecturing like most history classes, but very hands on learning with answering questions from the website that I created and then creating a poster of FDR with the questions integrated in it. With this my goals of them learning the states requirements were done, but learning new technology was implemented as well.

The modifications for individual needs were pretty simple just because this activity is really for partner work. If it was a class full of third graders that I knew as my class then I would pair them up 

The website I created. 
                                                                                    with students that might be strong in one part of               the lesson and weak in the other. This activity is very hands on so students with learning disabilities would probably have an easier time with learning the content. The modifications for individual needs would be partner work.

The evidence that I have that indicates my students success for this lesson is  the student in this example, first shows me the most important part, that they understood the questions given to them in the website and that it was a reachable task to find the answers to find the answers to the questions, and secondly that gloster.com was a beneficial website for students in achieving this activity. 

 

Ciara's FDR Poster
For my next example it provides evidence in which the student understood and could pick up the technology of Glogster.com. This student used pictures, movies from Youtube.com and even music!!:
Annie's FDR Poster

While teaching this lesson to the class, I felt prepared until the part where Glogster.com wasn't working for certain people and certain computers. It was a bummer because for me I had no problem using it until I started teaching the actual lesson to my class. I believe that if the students had a day where they could use Glogster.com just learn it, it would have made the lesson move more smoothly. I was very impressed with how well my website worked, how exciting it was using a new tool!! My reflections from myself I feel will defiantly help me in the future not only teaching students about history, but about technology. Also my classmates reflections have helped me a lot in the fact that they have told me their honest opinions in telling me what I can improve on and what I am good at already. Some comments from the classmates:
            "You used a lot of close proximity which is always good and you gave immediate positive praise, which helps to boost the students eagerness to participate on the lesson. Try to give a little more of an introduction or hook so that students do not get confused at first."
           " The website and Glogster are really great ideas! I can totally see myself using those in other classes. Thanks for showing us!"



1 comment:

  1. I am happy to see that you have a clear understanding of the importance of preparation when getting ready to teach. For many, they think that just because they know the content, they are ready. As you know, this is not the case. Readying the technology and the learning environment are of utmost importance as well. Take what you learned from it, and build on your understandings for future lessons.

    ReplyDelete