Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Phase III
  1. How your understandings of the standards changed based on your experiences:
    • Designing Lessons
    • Teaching Lessons
    • Assessing Student (Peer) Artifacts
  2. What you learned about preparation and teaching from your peers
    • Lessons
    • Feedback
  3. How your experiences might impact your future teaching experiences.

  • Standard 1: Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
  • Standard 2: Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
  • Standard 3: Model Digital-Age Work and Learning
  • Standard 4: Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility

1. How my understanding of the standards changed based on my experiences with designing lessons was a challenge at first because I was not too sure how I felt about using technology. But the standards were easy to use when designing a lesson for my class. When you think of a technology that you want to integrate into your lesson plan for your third grade students, you first think of the first standard. Making it a learning experience and making it creative. How will a technology be useful to you, as the teacher, if its not inspiring and creative for students? It will be just boring and most students wont be engaged. The second part, you should think of what will help your students learn to develop digital-age learning experiences. Basically, when designing your lesson you don't want it to be old news technology. You want it to be interesting and up to date. For my lesson, I taught two new things to me and is new to technology, which was creating a website and using Glogster.com. The third standard is important because it adds on to your second standard and how you should use digital-age technology, but you should only use a technology that will help with your students learning. It wouldn't be beneficial for you as the teacher to use a technology that wont help your students learn what they need to, this will be a waste of technology. The last standard when creating and teaching a lesson plan you should keep in mind that students are most likely new to this and are not going to understand the risk that could happen to them if they are not smart with the internet or any technology use. As the teacher it is important to set aside some time to go over citizenship and responsibility to using the internet and computers. This doesn't need to go into your lesson plan, if you don't want it to. But it should be addressed before you do your lesson plan that is full of technology use.

2.When teaching the lesson that I created I learned from my peers that prior knowledge is KEY to using technology. If it was my actual class I would have taught them how to use Glogster.com and how to use my website before I taught the lesson. But my lesson seemed to be great and the class learned the two questions I gave to them and did what I wanted them to do and took away knowledge I wanted them to as well.  I think that me being prepared suffered because my class wasn't sure how to use the technology, but now I know for the future.

Feedback: What I learned from my feedback was that if the students had more time on figuring out how to work Glogster.com they would have felt more confident doing the lesson. But that the lesson overall was a great lesson and was good for the grade level that I was shooting for.

3. I had a great time in this class because it has taught me so much!! Not only about technology, but how to be a better teacher. It has taught me that being prepared is very important as a teacher and there is many forms of being prepared.  I know now that with the use of technology in the classroom it is important for you as the teacher to know when is the right time to teach your lesson with technology and when it wont benefit your students at all. It is also very important to teach technology that is useful, such as up to date and what the rules are for that school. Teaching your students about safety and guidelines to technology is also important. Overall this class has taught me a lot on how to teach technology and how to be successful at it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment